Do you suffer from loose skin on your tummy or unsightly folds? Do you want to get rid of your loose tummy after childbirth? Why not consider abdominoplasty - plastic surgery of the tummy or abdominal area? You could be looking slim again very soon. Make an appointment
today. Our specialists will discuss with you the ideal way towards your dream tummy.
What is a tummy tuck and who is it suitable for?
Abdominoplasty is a form of surgery that helps to solve problems such as loose skin and a slack abdominal wall, both of which are common after pregnancy or after significant weight loss.
A tummy tuck can tighten expanded muscles of the abdominal wall, reduce subcutaneous fat tissue and remove excessive skin.
What does a tummy tuck involve?
Abdominoplasty brings good visual and functional results but at the price of scars where there is the need to reduce excessive skin. The scar usually runs across the whole width of the distance between the two hip bones and just above the line of the pubic hair. It is placed in a location where it can be covered by underwear.
The scar will turn pale over time, but it always remains and the quality of it is subject to the individual. There will also be a small round scar around the navel as a result of it being moved to a new position. During the operation the abdominal wall is strengthened by sewing in extended abdominal diastema.
Abdominoplasty is also often combined with liposuctionof the tummy and hips.
What does abdominal plastic surgery - mini-abdominoplasty - involve?
When only the skin in the abdominal area is loose, only surgery of the abdominal fold is required, this is so called mini-abdominoplasty.
The incision is placed in the same location as a tummy tuck, but is usually shorter. The navel does not need to be moved and the muscles of the tummy are usually not sewed.
How do you prepare for a tummy tuck?
1) The first step is to attend a consultation with our plastic surgeon. They will carefully examine your tummy and discuss with you what the next steps are towards getting that slimmer appearance.
2) One week prior to the planned surgery you must provide us with results of both a laboratory and internal preoperative examination. You can undergo the examination at your general practitioner or directly at our clinic one day before the surgery. You must take into account that in this case the surgery might be postponed if the results are not within acceptable limits.
3) Do not take any medications containing acetylsalicylic acid, which influences blood coagulation, for at least three weeks prior to the surgery.
4) You should be fit and healthy and not have had any acute illnesses e.g. cold or viral infection, for at least two to three weeks prior to the planned surgery. Smokers should also temporarily give up smoking. Smoking significantly slows down the healing process.
5) One day prior to the surgery it is necessary to apply low-molecural special blood thinner as prevention against thrombosis and embolism.
6) You must come to the surgery on an empty stomach (the patient should not eat, drink or smoke for at least 8 hours prior to the surgery), at the agreed time, clean, with washed hair and no make-up.
7) After the surgery, you will stay at the clinic for the following two nights before being released for home treatment with an elastic corset around your tummy.
8) We recommend that you arrange help and transport by car when leaving for home treatment.
What do you do after a tummy tuck?
- After the surgery, it is necessary to rest for 10 to 14 days at home.
- We will provide you with antibiotics and medicines to reduce the swelling. You must not forget to take them regularly.
- For the first week after the surgery you have to walk bent slightly forwards. When you are in bed, your knees must be raised with cushions and bent.
- You also have to wear tights against thrombosis and regularly exercise the legs according to the instructions given.
- You must also maintain your water intake - 2 to 2.5 litres of liquids every 24 hours.
- You must wear the elastic underwear for 4 to 5 days after surgery. After this period, you can have a shower, replacing the elastic underwear when you have done so. It is necessary to wear the elastic underwear constantly for 6 weeks after the surgery. You can only take it off for the duration of the shower.
- Do not remove the plasters from the wound. They will be changed during the postoperative examination at Asklepion.
- The stitches are absorbable so there is no need to take them out.
- About 3 weeks after the surgery you can start to perform pressure massages. We will advise you on how to perform the massages and when to start with them.
- Sport and physical exercise are possible 6 to 8 weeks after the surgery.
- Going to the sauna or solarium is forbidden for the first 2 or 3 months.
- If the scar is pigmented, it is necessary to protect it from the sun, otherwise the changes in pigment could become permanent.
- The appearance and healing of the scars are very individual. The scars are pink to start with and with time turn paler. The massages quicken the healing process.
- The stabilization of the scars often takes up to one year.
- You will be regularly invited for postoperative examinations. We will work to ensure that the result corresponds to your expectations.
Do you have any further questions with regards to plastic surgery of the tummy and abdominal area? If you do, don´t hesitate to contact our specialists. Make an appointment today.