Women are not the only ones who are displeased with the appearance, shape or size of their breasts. At the Asklepion Clinic we can help men to solve aesthetic imperfections too. The most common problem in men is the excessive growth of the mammary glands. Arrange a consultation with our specialists in gynecomastia. They will help you find the right solution for you.
What is gynecomastia and who is it suitable for?
Gynecomastia is a condition whereby a hormonal imbalance in men causes excessive growth of the mammary glands. In some cases they can grow to a size similar to that of female breasts. Gynecomastia is often connected to obesity, whereby the fat is stored in the enlarged mammary glands.
If you think that gynecomastia is your problem, you must undergo an endocrinological examination to ascertain this. If the diagnoses is confirmed, we can solve the problem on the basis of an endocrinologist´s recommendation.
What does gynecomastia involve?
- During gynecomastia, the whole mammary gland has to be removed. Sometimes it is necessary to combine the intervention with liposuction - the removal of fat from the subcutis around the gland.
- The incision is usually made around the areola. If the operation involves a smaller intervention, an arc under the lower half of the areola is sufficient. If the intervention is more extensive and reduction of the skin cloak of the breast is required, the incision has to be led circularly around the areola and in some cases vertically under it.
How do you prepare for gynecomastia?
1) Make an appointment with our plastic surgeon.
2) One week prior to the planned surgery you must provide us with results of both a laboratory and internal preoperative examination. You can undergo the examination at your general practitioner or directly at our clinic one day before the surgery. You must take into account that in this case the surgery might be postponed if the results are not within acceptable limits.
3) Do not take any medications containing acetylsalicylic acid, which influences blood coagulation, for at least three weeks prior to the surgery.
4) You should be fit and healthy and not have had any acute illnesses e.g. cold or viral infection, for at least two to three weeks prior to the planned surgery. Smokers should also temporarily give up smoking. Smoking significantly slows down the healing process.
5) You must come to the surgery on an empty stomach (the patient should not eat, drink or smoke for at least 8 hours prior to the surgery), at the agreed time, clean, with washed hair and no make-up.
6) After the surgery, you will stay at the clinic overnight and will be released for home treatment the following afternoon.
7) We recommend you arrange help and transport by car when leaving for home treatment.
What do you have to do after gynecomastia?
- After the surgery, it is necessary to rest for 7 to 10 days at home.
- We will provide you with antibiotics and medicines to reduce the swelling. You must not forget to take them regularly.
- It is essential to wear an elastic bandage and elastic underwear for 4 to 5 days after the surgery. Once this period has passed you can shower again, wearing only the elastic bra from that point onwards.
- Do not remove the plasters from the wounds. The plasters will be changed during your postoperative examination.
- The stitches are absorbent so there is no need to take them out.
- It is necessary to wear the elastic underwear constantly for 6 weeks after the surgery. You can only take it off to shower.
- About 2 or 3 weeks after the surgery you can start to perform pressure massages. We will advise you on how to perform the massages and when to start with them. The massages will quicken the healing process.
- Sport and physical exercise are possible 6 to 8 weeks after the surgery.
- Going to the sauna or solarium is forbidden for the first 2 or 3 months.
- If the skin is pigmented, it is necessary to protect it from the sun, otherwise the changes in pigment could become permanent.
- The healing time after surgery is very individual. The swelling and bruises usually persist for 2 weeks.
- Stabilization of the scars often takes up to a year.
- You will be regularly invited for postoperative examinations. We will work to ensure that the result corresponds to your expectations.
Do you have any further questions about gynecomastia? If you do, don´t hesitate to contact our specialists. Make an appointment
today. There is a solution to every problem.