Are you worried about having a big or misaligned nose? Have you been thinking about having it corrected? If you have, make an appointment
with our specialist. The way to your dream nose is easier than you think.
What is rhinoplasty and who is it suitable for?
The majority of our clients do not like the shape of their nose. The shape can be genetically determined or the result of an injury. At the Asklepion Clinic we can not only improve the shape of your nose with plastic surgery, but also adjust your breathing, and as a result potentially your voice modulation too.
Surgically, rhinoplasty can:
- make a significant nasal bump smaller
- shape the tip of the nose
- narrow the nose
- straighten a deviated nasal septum
It is important to bear in mind that rhinoplasty is one of the most difficult interventions of aesthetic surgery. It is for this reason that it should be performed by a very experienced specialist.
For whom is rhinoplasty not suitable?
Rhinoplasty is not suitable for teenagers. It can only be performed after both the growth phase and puberty have come to an end. If carried out before, rhinoplasty could affect the development and growth of the patient.
The optimal age range for rhinoplasty is 18 - 35 years. These limits are for orientation purposes only. This inevitably depends on the extent of the desired intervention and on quality and type of skin on the nose.
With respect to healing, the more elastic and flexible the soft tissue is, the greater the extent of the desired intervention can be. This is because there is a decreased risk of hypertrophy and excessive scarring of tissues, which could have negative influence on the final shape of the nose.
What does rhinoplasty involve?
- Rhinoplasty is performed under a combination of total and local anaesthesia through the nostrils - there are no scars on the skin.
- The skin is loosened from the bone and cartilaginous nasal frame. The hard and soft tissues are reduced as required, formed, and the mucous tissue sewed back into place with absorbable material.
- Tamponades are inserted into the nostrils and an aluminium splint attached to the nose.
- The surgery usually takes about 50 minutes. Hospitalization is usually required for two days.
How do you prepare for rhinoplasty?
1) Make an appointment with our plastic surgeon.
2) One week prior to the planned surgery you must provide us with results of both a laboratory and internal preoperative examination. You can undergo the examination at your general practitioner or directly at our clinic one day before the surgery. You must take into account that in this case the surgery might be postponed if the results are not within acceptable limits.
3) Do not take any medications containing acetylsalicylic acid, which influences blood coagulation, for at least three weeks prior to the surgery.
4) You should be fit and healthy and not have had any acute illnesses e.g. cold or viral infection, for at least two to three weeks prior to the planned surgery. Smokers should also temporarily give up smoking. Smoking significantly slows down the healing process.
5) You must come to the surgery on an empty stomach (the patient should not eat, drink or smoke for at least 8 hours prior to the surgery), at the agreed time, clean, with washed hair and no make-up.
6) After the surgery, you will stay at the clinic for two nights and will be released for home treatment on the afternoon of the second day.
7) We recommend you to arrange help and transport by car when leaving for home treatment.
What do you have to do after rhinoplasty?
- After the surgery, it is necessary to rest for 1 to 2 weeks at home. We will provide you with antibiotics and medicines to reduce the swelling. You must not forget to take them regularly.
- You will have an aluminium splint on your nose and tamponades in the nostrils.
- The tamponade can be removed 1 to 3 days after the surgery according to the type of performed surgery.
- You have to wear the splint constantly for 14 days after surgery to the hard tissue of the nose, or 10 days after surgery to the soft tissue of the nose. You must not remove it.
- For the first 3 to 5 days it is important to apply a cold compress to avoid swelling.
- The swelling and bruising usually persists for 7 to 10 days after the rhinoplasty.
- You can apply Hirudoid on the bruises twice a day after the surgery.
- After 4 or 5 days you can start to clean the nostrils with wet cotton wool buds. Clean them every 3 hours during the day. It is also possible to use Vaseline and soften the scabs which can form in the nostrils. This makes it easier to clean the nostrils.
- The stitches are absorbable so there is no need to take them out.
- 2 weeks after the surgery, the splint will be removed. You can apply make-up after this point.
- About 3 to 4 weeks after the surgery you can start to perform pressure massages - twice a day for 5 minutes. We will teach you how to perform the massages and when to start with them.
- Sport and physical exercise are possible 5 to 6 weeks after the surgery.
- Going to the sauna or solarium are forbidden for the first 2 months.
- The swelling of the soft tissue will persist after the removal of the splint. The stabilization of the scars will take a minimum of 3 months after the surgery.
- The healing after the surgery is very individual and often takes up to a year.
- You will be regularly invited for postoperative examinations. We will work to ensure that the result corresponds to your expectations.
Do you have any further questions with regards to rhinoplasty? If you do, don´t hesitate to contact our specialists. Make an appointmenttoday.