Do you suffer from small and narrow lips? Are you displeased with your large and fleshy lips? The solution could be the surgical reduction or enlargement of your lips. Make an appointmentwith the Asklepion Clinic. We can help you decide what the ideal way is to achieve the size and shape of the lips of your dreams.
What is surgical reduction or enlargement of the lips and who is it suitable for?
Surgical lip enlargement brings long-lasting effects with no scars. The incisions are made on the inner side of the lip and heal quite well. The scars are not visible because we use a special method for loosening the mucous tissue of the lip. The extent to which the mucous tissue of the lip can be loosened is limited by the particular circumstances of the patient.
If you want to learn more about the alternative non-surgical methods of lip enlargement we also offer, contact the Dermatology Ward at the Asklepion Clinic.
Surgery is the only possible option for lip reduction. The shape and size of your lips are determined genetically, but are to some extent also influenced by habitual facial expressions and the loosening of the skin and soft structures of the face as a result of ageing.
It is mainly the upper lip, which is mimically more active and formatively more noticeable, that tends to loosen and slacken over time, becoming optically narrower. If the lower lip loosens, it droops slightly, but is not optically apparent. That is why the majority of our clients seek enlargement of the upper lip only.
What does surgical reduction or enlargement of the lips involve?
- Reduction or enlargement of the lips is usually performed under local anaesthesia.
- Measurements are first made of the extent of the mucous tissue of the lip and the layout of the incision(s) determined.
- During lip reduction the appropriate part of the tissue is removed. During lip enlargement a saw-like incision is made and the mucous tissue loosened, which gives the lips a puffier look.
- The tissue is sewn together with absorbable or standard stitches.
- For lip surgery performed under local anaesthesia, no hospitalization is required. The patient can go home immediately.
How to do you prepare for lip reduction or enlargement?
1) Make an appointment with our plastic surgeon.
2) One week prior to the planned surgery you must provide us with results of both a laboratory and internal preoperative examination. You can undergo the examination at your general practitioner or directly at our clinic one day before the surgery. You must take into account that in this case the surgery might be postponed if the results are not within acceptable limits.
3) Do not take any medications containing acetylsalicylic acid, which influences blood coagulation, for at least three weeks prior to the surgery.
4) You should be fit and healthy and not have had any acute illnesses e.g. cold or viral infection, for at least two to three weeks prior to the planned surgery. Smokers should also temporarily give up smoking. Smoking significantly slows down the healing process.
5) You must come to the surgery on an empty stomach (the patient should not eat, drink or smoke for at least 8 hours prior to the surgery), at the agreed time, clean, with washed hair and no make-up.
6) After an operation under local anaesthesia you can leave for home immediately.
7) We recommend you arrange help and transport by car when leaving for home treatment.
What do you have to do after lip enlargement or reduction?
1) After lip surgery it is recommended to rest at home for several days.
2) For the first 2 to 3 days you should regularly apply a cold compress.
3) It is important to brush your teeth carefully and rinse your mouth out with mouthwash after each meal.
4) The swelling usually lasts for 7 to 10 days after the surgery.
5) Non-absorbable stitches can be removed 7 to 10 days after the surgery. Absorbable stitches will disappear with time.
6) Two weeks after the surgery you can start pressure massages. We will teach you how to do this. The massages speed up the healing process.
7) Sport and physical exercise are possible 3 to 4 weeks after the surgery.
8) Going to the sauna or solarium are forbidden for the first 2 or 3 months.
9) The healing time and appearance of the scars is very individual.
10) The stabilization of the scars usually takes a minimum of 3 months after the surgery.
11) You will be regularly invited for postoperative examinations. We will keep an eye on the healing of the scars and will work to ensure that the result corresponds to your expectations.
Do you have any further questions concerning the enlargement or reduction of the lips? If you do, don´t hesitate to contact our specialists. Make an appointment
today. The way to having more beautiful lips starts at the Asklepion Clinic.