Do your oversized breasts hinder your sports activities? Do your breasts look saggier with age? Have you ever considered breast reduction or modelling? We do both at the Asklepion Clinic. Make an appointment with our specialist. They can help you find the best solution to solve the discomfort or displeasure.
What is breast reduction and who is it suitable for?
During surgical breast reduction, the surgeon adjusts the size and shape of your breasts and also the position of the nipples and areolas. Breast reduction surgery is an ideal way to deal with saggy breasts, as well as any asymmetry.
Surgical reduction and modelling of the breasts are procedures that are suitable for women where there is significant loosening of the mammary gland, accompanied by a strong reduction in skin elasticity. Saggy breasts are common after pregnancy and breastfeeding or after a significant reduction in weight. The intervention is also suitable for clients whose oversized breasts hinder their everyday activities or sport and contributes to back and shoulder pain.
Since it is necessary to reduce the amount of skin at the same time as reducing the size of the breasts, it is necessary to make some incisions into the breasts. The extent of these incisions varies and scarring is minimal. It is common to have to move the areola. In this case the scar is circular around the areola, possibly extending under the areola in the shape of an anchor when the breasts are very loose.
The incisions are made in the dermal folds to ensure that future scars are almost invisible. We can significantly improve the appearance of the scars with proper postoperative care, eventually with the use of lasers, radiofrequencies or bio-stimualtion.
What does breast reduction involve?
- The surgical incisions are made according to predetermined lines and layout, which are drawn prior to the operation whilst the patient is standing. This is the only effective way to evaluate the shift and firmness of the breasts and the extent of the required reduction.
- During the surgery, the excessive skin of the breast is removed, the mammary gland is loosened and a part removed, and together with the areola is pushed upwards.
- The next step is to model the mammary gland and sew it in place with inner absorbent stitches. The subcutis and the skin are also subsequently sewn together. We also use absorbent stitches for this because they support the fixity of the scar over the long term during the healing process.
- In certain cases, it is also possible to carry out a featherlift of the breasts.
- Drains are applied in order for any bleeding or tissular secretions to flow away.
- Finally an underlaid elastic bandage is attached.
- Breast modelling surgery usually takes 90 minutes. The surgery is done under the total anaesthesia.
- You should account for being on sick leave for 2 to 3 weeks after the surgery.
How do you prepare for breast reduction?
1) Make an appointment with our plastic surgeon.
2) One week prior to the planned surgery you must provide us with results of both a laboratory and internal preoperative examination. You can undergo the examination at your general practitioner or directly at our clinic one day before the surgery. You must take into account that in this case the surgery might be postponed if the results are not within acceptable limits.
3) Do not take any medications containing acetylsalicylic acid, which influences blood coagulation, for at least three weeks prior to the surgery.
4) You should be fit and healthy and not have had any acute illnesses e.g. cold or viral infection, for at least two to three weeks prior to the planned surgery. Smokers should also temporarily give up smoking. Smoking significantly slows down the healing process.
5) You must come to the surgery on an empty stomach (the patient should not eat, drink or smoke for at least 8 hours prior to the surgery), at the agreed time, clean, with washed hair and no make-up.
6) After the surgery, you will stay at the clinic overnight and will be released for home treatment the following afternoon.
7) We recommend you arrange help and transport by car when leaving for home treatment.
What do you have to do after breast reduction?
- After the surgery, it is necessary to rest for 10 to 14 days at home.
- We will provide you with antibiotics and medicines to reduce the swelling. You must not forget to take them regularly.
- It is essential to wear an elastic bandage and bra for 4 to 5 days after the surgery. Once this period has passed you can shower again, wearing only the elastic bra from that point onwards.
- Do not remove the plasters from the wounds. The plasters will be changed during your postoperative examination.
- The stitches are absorbent so there is no need to take them out.
- It is necessary to wear the elastic bra constantly for 6 weeks after the surgery. You can only take it off to shower.
- About 2 or 3 weeks after the surgery you can start to perform pressure massages, at least 3 times per day for 20 minutes. We will advise you on how to perform the massages and when to start with them. Massages will quicken the healing process.
- Sport and physical exercise are possible 6 to 8 weeks after the surgery.
- Going to the sauna or solarium is forbidden for the first 2 or 3 months.
- If the skin is pigmented, it is necessary to protect it from the sun, otherwise the changes in pigment could become permanent.
- The healing time after surgery is very individual. The swelling and bruises usually persist for 2 weeks.
- Stabilization of the scars often takes up to a year.
- You will be regularly invited for postoperative examinations. We will work to ensure that the result corresponds to your expectations.
Do you have any further questions with regards to breast reduction or modelling? If you do, don´t hesitate to contact our specialists. Make an appointment today.