Are you displeased with the size of your breasts? Have you been dreaming about having larger breasts? Make an appointment
with our specialist. Take the first step to a fuller décolleté.
What is breast augmentation and who is it suitable for?
Breast augmentation, also known as breast enlargement plastic surgery, is a surgical procedure whereby a woman´s breasts are enlarged with silicone implants. This is a very effective form of surgery for women who consider their breasts to be of an insufficient size. It can also be a means by which to solve other aesthetic imperfections - in the case of fat loss or a reduction in the size of the mammary glands after breast feeding or rapid weight loss. Augmentation can also help to resolve breast asymmetry.
What does breast augmentation involve?
- Breast augmentation is performed under total anaesthesia.
- An incision is made in the chosen area as agreed with the patient. The surgeon then forms a space in which to insert the implant.
- Breast implants are inserted under the mammary gland, or under the pectoral. The surgeon will make a decision about the placement of the implant according to physical dispositions of the patient and the desired effect.
- The breast implant is inserted into the breast from one of three possible access point: through an incision around the areola (upper or lower half of the areola), through an incision in the groove under the breast, or through an incision in the armpit.
- Any slight bleeding is stopped with coagulation and drains are applied in order for any blood or tissular secretions to flow away.
- After the implants have been inserted, the wound is sewn back together in layers with absorbable stitches.
- The wound is covered with aseptic strips and an underlaid elastic bandage is attached.
- Breast augmentation usually takes around 40 minutes.
What does breast augmentation with parallel lifting involve?
If the breasts are slightly loose, or if the areolas are in asymmetrical positions, it is possible to lift the breast a little to correct the asymmetry. In such cases the surgeon will indicate that breast augmentation + areola lift is appropriate. The resulting scar after the surgery will appear around the upper half of the areola. This surgery is also performed under total anaesthesia and takes approximately 50 minutes.
When the breasts are very loose, it is not only necessary to enlarge them but also to firm them. In such cases the surgeon will indicate that augmentation with mammoplasty is appropriate. The resulting scars appear around the areola and below the areola in the shape of anchor. The surgery is also performed under total anaesthesia and takes approximately 90 minutes.
What implants are used for breast enlargement?
At the Asklepion Clinic we use implants made in Germany by Polytech Silimed and implants made in the USA by Mentor. These are currently considered to be the best products of this type on the market. The use of quality implants guarantees the required aesthetic effect and lowers the risk of the body rejecting the implant. These implants are produced in two basic shapes - spherical and drop shaped. These implants are available in different sizes at the clinic.
How do you prepare for breast augmentation?
1) Make an appointment with our plastic surgeon.
2) One week prior to the planned surgery you must provide us with results of both a laboratory and internal preoperative examination. You can undergo the examination at your general practitioner or directly at our clinic one day before the surgery. You must take into account that in this case the surgery might be postponed if the results are not within acceptable limits.
3) Do not take any medications containing acetylsalicylic acid, which influences blood coagulation, for at least three weeks prior to the surgery.
4) You should be fit and healthy and not have had any acute illnesses e.g. cold or viral infection, for at least two to three weeks prior to the planned surgery. Smokers should also temporarily give up smoking. Smoking significantly slows down the healing process.
5) You must come to the surgery on an empty stomach (the patient should not eat, drink or smoke for at least 8 hours prior to the surgery), at the agreed time, clean, with washed hair and no make-up.
6) After the surgery, you will stay at the clinic overnight and will be released for home treatment the following afternoon.
7) We recommend you arrange help and transport by car when leaving for home treatment.
What do you have to do after breast augmentation?
- After the surgery, it is necessary to rest for 10 to 14 days at home.
- We will provide you with antibiotics and medicines to reduce the swelling. You must not forget to take them regularly.
- It is essential to wear an elastic bandage and bra for 4 to 5 days after the surgery. Once this period has passed you can shower again, wearing only the elastic bra from that point onwards.
- Do not remove the plasters from the wounds. The plasters will be changed during your postoperative examination.
- The stitches are absorbent so there is no need to take them out.
- It is necessary to wear the elastic bra constantly for 6 weeks after the surgery. You can only take it off to shower.
- About 2 or 3 weeks after the surgery you can start to perform pressure massages, at least 3 times per day for 20 minutes. We will advise you on how to perform the massages and when to start with them. Massages will quicken the healing process.
- Sport and physical exercise are possible 6 to 8 weeks after the surgery.
- Going to the sauna or solarium is forbidden for the first 2 or 3 months.
- If the skin is pigmented, it is necessary to protect it from the sun, otherwise the changes in pigment could become permanent.
- The healing time after surgery is very individual. The swelling and bruises usually persist for 2 weeks.
- Stabilization of the scars often takes up to a year.
- You will be regularly invited for postoperative examinations. We will work to ensure that the result corresponds to your expectations.
Do you have any further questions with regards to breast augmentation? If you do, don´t hesitate to contact our specialists. Make an appointment