Are you displeased about the size of your labia? Have you considered labioplasty? Contact our specialists for a discreet and confidential consultation. You will find out that labioplasty is not only about aesthetics but can also help to solve health problems.
What is labioplasty and who is it suitable for?
Labioplasty is a surgical procedure to help correct the shape or appearance of a woman´s labia. As a result of ageing the skin loses its elasticity and becomes flabby. This often manifests itself in the area of the labia, which become prolonged and looser. The extension of labia can also be caused by genetics or due to childbirth.
The Dermatology Ward at Asklepion also performs non-surgical procedures for improving the appearance of the outer female genitals, vagina reduction and incontinence treatment. We can provide you with further information as required.
Extended labia are not only a cosmetic imperfection. They can cause problems during sports, can affect a woman´s sexual life and can also be the reason behind frequent inflammation of the outer genitals. Having a surgical intervention is just one of possibilities for dealing with the appearance of the labia and treating other related health issues.
What does labia reduction involve?
- Labioplasty is done under a combination of local and total anaesthesia on a surgical table in the gyneacological position.
- The excessive tissue is removed with an incision after measuring and layout.
- The incision follows the line of labia. The sewing is done in the same direction in two layers with absorbable stitches.
- The surgery is completed with the placement of absorbent bandages.
- The intervention usually takes 30 minutes.
How do you prepare for labioplasty?
1) Make an appointment with our plastic surgeon.
2) One week prior to the planned surgery you must provide us with results of both a laboratory and internal preoperative examination. You can undergo the examination at your general practitioner or directly at our clinic one day before the surgery. You must take into account that in this case the surgery might be postponed if the results are not within acceptable limits.
3) Do not take any medications containing acetylsalicylic acid, which influences blood coagulation, for at least three weeks prior to the surgery.
4) You should be fit and healthy and not have had any acute illnesses e.g. cold or viral infection, for at least two to three weeks prior to the planned surgery. Smokers should also temporarily give up smoking. Smoking significantly slows down the healing process.
5) You must come to the surgery on an empty stomach (the patient should not eat, drink or smoke for at least 8 hours prior to the surgery), at the agreed time, clean, with washed hair and no make-up.
6) After the surgery, you will stay at the clinic overnight and will be released for home treatment the following afternoon.
7) We recommend that you arrange help and transport by car when leaving for home treatment.
What do you have to do after labioplasty?
- After the surgery, it is necessary to rest for 1 week at home.
- You can have a shower the second day after surgery, and then cover the labia with an aseptic mull.
- Occasional bleeding may persist for the first 2 or 3 days after the surgery.
- Any swelling or bruising usually disappears 7 to 10 days after the surgery.
- The stitches are absorbable. If they do not fall out after 3 or 4 weeks, they can be taken out.
- Sport and physical exercise are possible 5 or 6 weeks after the surgery.
- The appearance and healing of the scars are very individual. Scar stabilization can take at least three months.
- You will be regularly invited for postoperative examinations so that we make sure that the healing process is trouble free and that the results are to your satisfaction.
Do you have any further questions concerning labioplasty? If you do, don´t hesitate to contact our specialists.Make an appointment
today. We guarantee a sensitive approach and complete discretion.