Are you worried about your increasing amount of wrinkles, and the tired, loose appearance of your face and neck? Plastic surgery in the form of a facelift could be the solution. At Asklepion we perform SMASS lifting, Macs lift or a mini facelift using the latest techniques. Make an appointment with one of our specialists today. We can help you find the ideal way to rejuvenate your face and neck.
What is a facelift and who is it suitable for?
Facelifts solve the problems of the ageing process and the impact this has on the face and neck. Facelifts can be performed on both women and men. The majority of our clients are in the age group between 40 to 60 years.
During this surgery, the surgeon not only removes the excessive skin from neck and face, but also tightens the subcutaneous ligament-muscular structures (SMASS lifting). This not only tightens the skin, but also partially smooths out wrinkles on the face and neck.
For whom is a facelift not suitable?
Plastic surgery of the face and neck through a facelift does not have an impact on the wrinkles around the eyes, on the forehead and around the mouth. Please seek advice from our specialists about which method of plastic surgeryor dermatology can help you minimize the wrinkles in these area.
A facelift is not suitable when your skin is in poor condition. The preconditions for a successful intervention are good health and the quality of the skin on the face. There can be no suppurations or dermal disease.
What does plastic surgery of the face and neck involve?
- The surgery is performed under a combination of local and total anaesthesia.
- The lifting of the face starts after the total disinfection of the face and hair. The incision is led from the hairline at the temple downwards in front of the ear auricle or behind the ear valve, around the ear lobe into the crease behind the ear towards the scalp.
- The skin of the face and neck are then loosened from their base, measurements made and the excessive skin removed.
- As part of the process, we perform SMASS (lifting and strengthening of the muscular subcutaneous structure). This is performed through plication (gathering), resection or the removal of the loosened subcutaneous structure and subsequently sewing it together with absorbent stitches.
- The final stage involves meticulously sewing the edges of the skin together with intradermal stitches on visible locations and single stitches in the hair and behind the auricles.
- Both absorbable and non-absorbable materials are used. In most cases it is necessary to apply soft tubular drains to drain any blood away.
- The plastic surgery is completed with the application of a capeline bandage around the head.
A facelift can be combined with eyelid surgery and double chin liposuction
How do you prepare for plastic surgery of the face and neck?
1) Make an appointment with our plastic surgeon.
2) One week prior to the planned surgery you must provide us with results of both a laboratory and internal preoperative examination. You can undergo the examination at your general practitioner or directly at our clinic one day before the surgery. You must take into account that in this case the surgery might be postponed if the results are not within acceptable limits.
3) Do not take any medications containing acetylsalicylic acid, which influences blood coagulation, for at least three weeks prior to the surgery.
4) You should be fit and healthy and not have had any acute illnesses e.g. cold or viral infection, for at least two to three weeks prior to the planned surgery. Smokers should also temporarily give up smoking. Smoking significantly slows down the healing process.
5) You must come to the surgery on an empty stomach (the patient should not eat, drink or smoke for at least 8 hours prior to the surgery), at the agreed time, clean, with washed hair and no make-up.
6) After the surgery, you will stay at the clinic overnight and will be released for home treatment the following morning with an elastic bandage around the head.
7) We recommend that you arrange help and transport by car when leaving for home treatment.
What do you have to do after plastic surgery of the face and neck?
- After the surgery, it is necessary to rest for 7 to 10 days at home. We will provide you with antibiotics and medicines to reduce the swelling. You must not forget to take them regularly.
- For the first 4 to 5 days do not bend or turn your head sharply. Each movement must be done very slowly. The swelling will be the biggest on the third day after the surgery, after that it will successively lessen.
- You must keep the elastic bandage on for 4 to 5 days after the surgery. Once this period has passed, you can wash your face and head - use normal shampoo and let your hair dry naturally. Do not use a hair dryer. Wash your face regularly every day for the next 4 days. Be careful around the ears where you have the stitches.
- After washing your face and head, the healing process continues without bandages. Use a scarf or an elastic halter at night.
- About 3 weeks after the surgery you can start to perform pressure massages, at least 3 times per day for 15 minutes. We will advise you on how to perform the massages and when to start with them.
- After 14 days you can use make-up.
- Sport and physical exercise are possible 6 weeks after the surgery.
- Going to the sauna or solarium is forbidden for the first 2 or 3 months.
- If the scar is pigmented, it is necessary to protect it from the sun, otherwise the changes in pigment could become permanent.
- The appearance and healing of the scars is very individual. The scars are pink to start with and with time turn paler. The massages quicken the healing process.
- The stabilization of the scars often takes up to one year, especially around the auricle.
- You will be regularly invited for postoperative examinations. We will work to ensure that the result corresponds to your expectations.
Do you have any further questions about plastic surgery of the face and neck? If you do, don´t hesitate to contact our specialists. The will advise you in confidence. Make an appointmenttoday.